How Much Does a Beer and Wine License Cost?
Owning a bar, restaurant or similar establishment is a dream of many people. There are endless details to take care of when opening a business, but a budding entrepreneur absolutely has to apply for and get a liquor license. It is an integral part of any bar or restaurant, and it’s not cheap. How much does a beer and wine license cost?
What Is A Liquor License?
Business owners can’t just open the doors and serve customers alcoholic beverages. A license must be obtained from the local government to do so.
Types Of Liquor Licenses
Liquor licenses are issued by each individual state, and therefore the types of licenses available may vary by location. The most common types of liquor licenses offered are:
- Beer and Wine License: Allows for the sale of beer, wine, cider, and malt beverages, but no hard alcohol.
- Restaurant License: Also known as all liquor or general license. Some locations only allow a certain number of these, and a business may have to wait for one to become available.
- Tavern License: Commonly given to businesses whose liquor sales account for 50% or more of their total sales. Not all locations separate this type from the restaurant license.
Most states further divide liquor licenses based on where the product is consumed. The two categories are on-premise (bars and restaurants) or off-premise (bottle sale).
How Much Does A Liquor License Cost?
The cost of a liquor license will vary by type and location. In 2018 a liquor license cost as little as $100 in Idaho or as much as $13,800 in California with the average fee being just over $1,400.
How Long Is a Liquor License Valid?
Most localities require a liquor license be renewed annually.
Ways To Lose A Liquor License
A business may put its liquor license, and its entire operation in jeopardy if they do any of the following:
- Serve alcohol to someone underage
- Serve someone who is obviously intoxicated
- Serving alcohol outside authorized times
A liquor license is just one of the many things a bar or restaurant owner needs liquor license to be successful and they must apply for and pay a fee annually to keep their license. Once obtained, business owners need to act responsibly to keep their liquor licenses.
How about you, Clever Friends, do you know anyone who’s gone through the process to get a liquor license? Did they tell you about it?
Check out additional clever articles below:
- Four Types Of Summertime Adult Beverages
- Five Best Beer and Wine Delivery Services
- Beer vs Liquor: An Alcohol Price Per Ounce Comparison
Brock is a software engineer by day and personal finance blogger at night. He is a fitness junkie and enjoys grilling and smoking meat. Married with two children, Brock strives to improve his skills as a husband and father, and is always on the lookout to stretch his family’s budget as far as he can.