Almost a year ago, I wrote about our declining check usage due to our increased use of online billpay through our bank. Back then, I expected our check usage for 2007 to be under 30…
Wanna guess how many (or few) we used? Here are our totals from prior years:
Wow, only 19 checks used last year! Here’s a breakdown of those checks:
- 4 for Stacie’s work (malpractice insurance, holiday party tickets, licensure, conference fees)
- 4 for birthday/wedding gifts
- 3 for the city’s water, sewer and trash collection (when will they move from paper bills!?!)
- 3 for charities
- 1 for a, um, vehicular matter
- 1 for a CMS coupon book
- 1 for an opening deposit on a new bank account
- 1 for my in-laws to repay for new suspension on our Pontiac
- 1 for my master’s degree application fee
Obviously, we can’t get away from using checks completely. There are just some people and institutions who won’t accept online checks because they need part of the statement sent with it, or they need something in-hand more immediately. However, dropping from almost 100 for years down to less than 20 is a pretty amazing change. Just think of all those stamps we saved by having the bank mail them for us!
Have you done this type of analysis? What have you noticed with your check usage?
Feeling Clever? Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get the latest from "Clever Dude."