Redbox! Yep, we have canceled our Blockbuster Online subscription, but not because we were overly unhappy with it. Rather, we had other reasons. Basically, Redbox costs $1 per night to rent. If we only want to see 5 movies per month, it costs us $5. For Blockbuster, 5 movies would cost us $19. Actually, 1 movie costs us $19. We’d have to rent and watch 19 movies per month to match the Redbox price.
But Redbox isn’t available for everyone. We have one in the grocery store across the street. What is Redbox? Well, it’s a self-service kiosk that spits out the movie after you’ve paid. You return it to the same kiosk by 7pm the following night. You insert it in a certain way, and it’s available for the next person to rent. You can also create an online account to browse the available rentals at your kiosk, and actually reserve them online for pickup later! Oh, and they have a free trial coupon via email! I believe it adds you to their mailing list, but you can unsubscribe and they don’t sell your address.
But cost was only one reason to give up Blockbuster, and not even the biggest reason. Here are our other reasons:
- We were on “Movie Overload”. This is actually the biggest reason we canceled Blockbuster. We felt like we had to watch every single movie that we received, or else we wouldn’t get our money’s worth. I would feel the pang of guilt when I saw that envelope sitting on top of the TV, waiting to be watched. It was just too much to take.
- I’m starting my graduate degree. I’m sure the classes won’t take up every waking hour of my life (I hope), but…
- I have other things I want to do. We made another purchase which I’ll detail in a later post, but I also have some home improvements I want to look into like renovating our upstairs and our older bathroom.
- We’ve watched all of our “Must-Watch” movies. After rating movies on Netflix and Blockbuster, I’ve realized that I alone have watched at least 800 movies in my life. And I’m not even a movie buff! There’s some classics we’d like to see, but they can wait (they’ve waited this long). I think we’ll be fine just catching a new release every so often. If we miss it, no big deal.
- We weren’t getting movies at the top of our queue. This seems to be an issue with Blockbuster that we didn’t usually have with Netflix. Even though a movie shows as available, we get one below the top 5, and sometimes below the top 10. Why, Blockbuster, why? I wanted to see Delta Farce with Larry the Cable Guy, not Casablanca!!!
- Our TV shows start up again. Although 7th Heaven and Gilmore Girls is done, we still have a few shows like Ugly Betty, Heroes, etc. to keep us busy in the evenings. Oh, and Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! too.
So we’re gonna give Redbox a try. It’s funny because it’s in the same complex as the local Blockbuster. I doubt Blockbuster has anything to worry about yet, but I think that Redbox will proliferate more, and more competitors will get into the market.
So let me know if you’ve tried Redbox, or if you’ve canceled Blockbuster (or want to cancel) for the same or other reasons!
Feeling Clever? Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get the latest from "Clever Dude."