You may tell by now that although I want Tivo, I think it’s very foolish. I’ve had a few discussions with some coworkers who clearly state:
I CAN’T IMAGINE LIVING WITHOUT MY TIVO!
So, in your 20-something years of life before Tivo came about, how did you manage to survive?
My coworker was laughing at my version of Tivo. Here’s how I manage it:
- Browse TV Guide Online for listings of each day from 8pm-11pm on Channels CW, NBC, FOX, ABC, and CBS. I’d like to remind you that we only have basic cable.
- Write down the shows I want to watch in a pocket calendar book. I can get over 2 weeks of future programming from TV Guide Online. The calendars cost about $10 a year. I used to use a Palm Vx, but it kept crashing and losing my data so I switched to paper.
- If we know we’re going to be home during the show, then we’ll just watch it. Otherwise, we just tape it on one of our two VCRs. You do know you can schedule recording on these things, right? And you can have it recur each week, right?
So, for 10 minutes every 2 to 3 weeks, and $10 per year, I have my own manual Tivo system. I can live with this system because of the following:
- I’m frugal and the Tivo money can be sent to any one of our debts. It might not sound like much, but the $100-300 per year I’d spend on Tivo is a student loan payment or partial car payment.
- I don’t want the ability to just randomly browse through TV listings and Tivo something. We spend more than enough time in front of the TV, and my first effort to cancel extended and digital cable only moderately helped. We need more discipline, not more temptation.
- We don’t need high definition quality recordings, so a regular VCR tape works fine. We have been reusing the same tapes for the last 3 or more years and they have only lost a little quality. We did have to get a new VCR this year, but one of our parents gave us their old, unused one for free.
Up next, why you CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT YOUR 42 INCH PLASMA TV!!!
Feeling Clever? Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get the latest from "Clever Dude."